Sure, straight champagne is the classic toasting beverage for when the ball drops. But if you're throwing a New Years Eve party with friends and family socializing for hours, a big bowl of sparkling punch is the way to go. Here's our go-to recipe (using Trader Joe's products) which you can easily adapt for minors. Most other grocers should have everything you need as well.
Serves 12+ revelers
Tools & supplies
- Large punch bowl
- Medium sized bowl such as a 7-cup pyrex (for ice)
- Ladle or measuring cup (for serving)
- 1 bottle champagne, prosecco, or sparkling white wine
- 1 bottle sparkling apple cider
- 3c pomegranate juice
- 1 bottle Trader Joe's triple ginger brew
- 2c brandy, cognac, or dark rum
- 1 bag frozen strawberries or raspberries
- 1 orange
Playlist: New Year's Eve Party Bangers!
Mise en Place
Fill the medium bowl with water and freeze it. If you're short on time, fill it with ice cubes, then water (it will freeze faster).
Slice the orange.
Mix & Serve
Take the ice out of the medium bowl (run warm water across the bowl to get it out) and place it in your punch bowl. Add 1/2 the bag of frozen berries and orange slices.
Next, pour all the liquid ingredients into the bowl.
Place your punch bowl in a high-traffic area and party on!
Freeze the oranges with the ice
Instead of floating the orange slices, you can freeze them in the medium bowl. Just arrange the slices in the bowl, hold them down with some ice cubes, fill with water, and freeze.
Jr. High School Party Edition
Did you agree to host a jr. high school New Year's Eve party and start 2019 with regret? You can easily modify this recipe for your underage guests. Just make the following modifications:
- Replace champagne with a 2nd bottle of sparkling apple cider
- Replace brandy/rum with a 2nd bottle of ginger brew and 1 additional cup of pomegranate juice